GPD掌机官方论坛
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Top posting users this month
No user

Top posting users this week
No user

Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 179 on 2017-12-21, 16:06
The most tagged members
No user

Fn+F7 on boot does not work, and there is no bootable OS. Is my GPDPocket permanently broken?

4 posters

Go down

Fn+F7 on boot does not work, and there is no bootable OS. Is my GPDPocket permanently broken? Empty Fn+F7 on boot does not work, and there is no bootable OS. Is my GPDPocket permanently broken?

Post by roger1 2017-08-21, 07:23

Hi!

For my GPDPocket:

When it starts, I pressing FN+F7, I do not get any BIOS menu, so I cannot boot from any alternative boot media.

Are there any other key combinations I could try?

Otherwise, I understand that my GPDPocket is broken, and I need to send it to you to get a warranty replacement.

I have not made any BIOS update, this is the 5 July BIOS. If so this is a BIOS bug. Clearer instructions *in English* about which is the best, unlocked BIOS version, would be appreciated.

Also, if I just could reset the BIOS settings e.g. by resetting the CMOS battery, could perhaps reset the BIOS so that I would get access to FN+F7. However I do not know how to do that.

If this issue can be resolved without returnin it to you for warranty replacement please let me know, thanks!
Roger

Last edited by roger1 on 2017-08-24, 10:47; edited 1 time in total

roger1

帖子数 : 27
注册日期 : 2017-08-21

Back to top Go down

Fn+F7 on boot does not work, and there is no bootable OS. Is my GPDPocket permanently broken? Empty Re: Fn+F7 on boot does not work, and there is no bootable OS. Is my GPDPocket permanently broken?

Post by roger1 2017-08-21, 07:31

What happens is: After powering on, the American Megatrends BIOS screen is shown for about 1/4 second.

Then, I am taken into the Intel UEFI boot console, and it tells me "Press ESC in 1 seconds to skip startup.nsh, any other key to continue".

BUT, pressing any keyboard key has no effect, EXCEPT for pushing the power button, which simply outputs a new "Shell>" line.

Hence, I see no way that I can boot the computer, as there is no way to boot it from an USB memory stick.

Kindly confirm if the GPDPocket is broken so that I need a warranty replacement. I got the computer yesterday, it has never been used.

roger1

Back to top Go down

Fn+F7 on boot does not work, and there is no bootable OS. Is my GPDPocket permanently broken? Empty Re: Fn+F7 on boot does not work, and there is no bootable OS. Is my GPDPocket permanently broken?

Post by roger1 2017-08-21, 07:51

Made a Reddit thread of this question also: https://www.reddit.com/r/GPDPocket/comments/6v0s6g/how_do_i_reset_the_cmos_batteryhardwarereset_the/ . Hope GPD will clarify how to make the device work soon so that I not will need a warranty replacement. This laptop is new and unused.

roger1

Back to top Go down

Post by kibagami 2017-08-23, 23:14

if you would like to get your system up again i believe you should go to the Bios by pressing the "DEL" button on startup, then once in the Bios go to the "Boot tab" then in "Boot Priority" Select "Windows Boot Manager" as First Boot position.

kibagami

帖子数 : 6
注册日期 : 2017-08-17

Back to top Go down

Post by roger1 2017-08-24, 05:55

Hi, none of that works.

See the video of the bricked GPDPocket here: https://vimeo.com/230753862

roger1

Back to top Go down

Post by roger1 2017-08-24, 06:00

So the problem is that the keyboard not works, and therefore keypresses are not registered at all.

roger1

Back to top Go down

Post by kibagami 2017-08-24, 10:08

Have you tried to connect a keyboard to your USB ?

kibagami

Back to top Go down

Post by roger1 2017-08-24, 10:14

Hi, yes, also that does not work.

It is the same result as with the built-in keyboard: no response at all. Nothing happens, so I cannot type in the Intel EFI console, and also pressing F7/ESC/DEL at boot has no effect.

roger1

Back to top Go down

Post by kibagami 2017-08-24, 10:32

There is something I don't understand because after have see your video it's appear that on startup the mention American Trends appear but in my gpd pocket I see the logo GPD in startup I don't know why we have this différence between both machines.

I will continue to search for informations but it's looks like that as your keyboard doesn't work you cannot change bios option then should mean even you are trying to install a new copy of windows from USB key it will not be reconized.

I am sorry to say so, but I don't see any solution for now, looks like you will have to use your warranty by contacting gpd support. Sad

kibagami

Back to top Go down

Post by roger1 2017-08-24, 10:34

Kibagami, thank you - yes exactly, it appears that I need a warranty replacement.

Very silly situation but that is how it is.

Thanks for sharing that you also conclude that a warranty replacement is needed.

roger1

Back to top Go down

Post by kibagami 2017-08-24, 10:36

Yeah I am sorry about it, i am sure the god support will help you

kibagami

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 2017-10-18, 10:28

Press the DEL key directly into the BIOS.
Admin
Admin
Admin

帖子数 : 509
注册日期 : 2016-04-08

https://gpdclub.longluntan.com

Back to top Go down

Post by roger1 2017-10-18, 15:32

Admin, you are ignoring the important facts again.

DEL on the keyboard did not work because the laptop did not allow any input via USB at boot.

roger1

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 2017-10-19, 03:25

roger1 wrote:Admin, you are ignoring the important facts again.

DEL on the keyboard did not work because the laptop did not allow any input via USB at boot.

Impossible, isn't your keyboard working at startup?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by roger1 2017-10-19, 04:16

Admin, what is wrong with you. Learn to read.

If you set the "USB on Boot" setting to "Disabled" in your BIOS, then USB is not enabled during BIOS initialization. The GPDPocket's keyboard is wired via USB, not PS2 as is customary for built-in laptop keyboards.

Thefore, this constitutes a "brick-me" setting, provided to you by GPD, and when you set it, your GPDPocket is permanently bricked. This happened to me and I needed to ship it back to them, and it may happen to you also, if you set this setting.

roger1

Back to top Go down

Post by urgno 2017-10-20, 16:41

maybe there is a jumper on the motherboard to clean up the nvram or whatever is keeping the bios settings

then maybe the bios will restart with defaults

we just have to find out where is that jumper Rolling Eyes
urgno
urgno

帖子数 : 12
注册日期 : 2017-09-07
地点 : Italy

Back to top Go down

Post by roger1 2017-10-21, 03:31

It's totally irresponsible of GPD that they sell devices that can self-destroy, in particular when it's not needed, right.

Such a PIN will be the self-healing mechanism.

What about short-circuiting some connectors on the motherboard to attain the same effect, do you get any insights based from this photo https://www.flickr.com/photos/dork_vader/35070886050/in/album-72157682344549524/ ?

roger1

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 2017-10-23, 05:44

roger1 wrote:Admin, what is wrong with you. Learn to read.

If you set the "USB on Boot" setting to "Disabled" in your BIOS, then USB is not enabled during BIOS initialization. The GPDPocket's keyboard is wired via USB, not PS2 as is customary for built-in laptop keyboards.

Thefore, this constitutes a "brick-me" setting, provided to you by GPD, and when you set it, your GPDPocket is permanently bricked. This happened to me and I needed to ship it back to them, and it may happen to you also, if you set this setting.

“If you set the "USB on Boot" setting to "Disabled" in your BIOS,”,Why disable USB?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 2017-10-23, 05:48

roger1 wrote:It's totally irresponsible of GPD that they sell devices that can self-destroy, in particular when it's not needed, right.

Such a PIN will be the self-healing mechanism.

What about short-circuiting some connectors on the motherboard to attain the same effect, do you get any insights based from this photo https://www.flickr.com/photos/dork_vader/35070886050/in/album-72157682344549524/ ?

“It's totally irresponsible of GPD that they sell devices that can self-destroy, in particular when it's not needed, right.” This is a rumor, and I suggest you email it to kendyz@gpd.hk.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by urgno 2017-10-23, 16:44

have you tried with a usb-c to usb converter and usb external keyboard ?
maybe usb3 and usb-c are not governed by the same bios settings
urgno
urgno

帖子数 : 12
注册日期 : 2017-09-07
地点 : Italy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down