GPD掌机官方论坛
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Top posting users this month
No user

Top posting users this week
No user

Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 179 on 2017-12-21, 16:06
The most tagged members
No user

BIOS boot usb option not available

4 posters

Go down

bios - BIOS boot usb option not available Empty BIOS boot usb option not available

Post by liste 2017-08-30, 02:48

I recently got my GPD pocket with Ubuntu. I notice that there is updated firmware for ubuntu update and try to setup a usb boot drive to upgrade.
I think the process will require me to change the boot setting to boot from the usb drive so I use ESC open up BIOS to edit my boot sequence. However only see 2 ubuntu options and a UEFI script option. There is no option to boot from USB.

Do I need adjust other setting to enable the UBS boot option? Are there any document on how to update Ubuntu from usb drive for GPD pocket?

Steve

liste

帖子数 : 2
注册日期 : 2017-08-30

Back to top Go down

bios - BIOS boot usb option not available Empty Re: BIOS boot usb option not available

Post by Global88 2017-09-04, 11:53

I had the same problem. The answer is that the BIOS only offers a USB option when a USB drive is inserted into the USB slot. Not really very helpful as it does no remember the selection.

My problem having selected the USB for first boot is that the Pocket will not boot from the USB drive, but goes to the regular log-in screen, even when booting from the USB is selected.

Global88

帖子数 : 5
注册日期 : 2017-09-04

Back to top Go down

bios - BIOS boot usb option not available Empty Re: BIOS boot usb option not available

Post by liste 2017-09-06, 23:54

Thank you for the info. I download the latest Ubuntu firmware from GPD and follow the following link to create a usb bootable stick from windows
https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tutorial-create-a-usb-stick-on-windows#0

I am able to see the usb drive from BIOS and kick off the install process.

liste

帖子数 : 2
注册日期 : 2017-08-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Global88 2017-09-07, 18:24

I received this link through email:

http://forum.gpd.hk/t142-bios-boot-usb-option-not-available#585

Unfortunately following the instructions does not produce a USB drive that is bootable. In the GPD Pocket BIOS the USB drive is recognized as Sandisk Cruzer, but it is prefixed by Android AI. Seems strange that the supposedly bootable Ubutnu disk that was generated on a Windows 10 laptop should have a reference to Android.

But the fact is that the USB drive will not boot on either a Windows 10 PC or the GPD Pocket. It is very frustrating.

Further suggestions appreciated.

Global88

Back to top Go down

Post by urgno 2017-09-07, 19:04

urgno
urgno

帖子数 : 12
注册日期 : 2017-09-07
地点 : Italy

Back to top Go down

Post by Global88 2017-09-10, 16:35

Thanks, but Rufus is recommended in the tutorial. I have tried booting from USB's produced by various programs but none will boot on the GPD Pocket, whereas they working find on other desktops and laptops. Unfortunately my conclusion is that there is something odd about the GPD Pocket that prevents booting from a USB. As I cannot access Windows, I guess the GPD Pocket will have to be returned unless someone has an insight into why the GPD Pocket will not boot from a USB like every other computer.

Grateful for any suggestions.

Global88

Back to top Go down

Post by urgno 2017-09-11, 10:46

I was able to boot a couple of USB pendrive directly from BIOS.

The trick is to have the pendrive inserted at power-on before entering in the bios
you will see the boot option in last page of bios (attached image)

Of course the pandrive has to be UEFI compliant to be able to boot.

bios - BIOS boot usb option not available Img_3910
bios - BIOS boot usb option not available Img_3911
urgno
urgno

帖子数 : 12
注册日期 : 2017-09-07
地点 : Italy

Back to top Go down

Post by Global88 2017-09-25, 14:53

My solution was a bootable ISO from EaseUS partition software. It booted on the Pocket to a PE command prompt. Once there with a few command line actions the Windows password was reset.

However I have not been able to produce a bootable USB using Rufus, trying any number of supposedly bootable ISOs. The USBs produced from Rufus will not boot on the Pocket or any other UEFI computer. Today I have built a Windows Recovery disk on the Pocket. It took 4 hours (extraordinarily slow!). This Recovery USB boots with no problem so now I have - after a great waste of time - a way to get to Windows recovery functions.

Global88

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 2017-10-18, 09:41

In fact, you will press the del key, enter the BIOS Settings, select the boot sign page, set boot option #1 to efi: your usb name
Admin
Admin
Admin

帖子数 : 509
注册日期 : 2016-04-08

https://gpdclub.longluntan.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Global88 2017-10-18, 11:47

Thank you. Getting to the boot option was never a problem. The root of my difficult is that the likes of Rufus never produced a bootable USB even after many attempts and much frustration.

Eventually, to get to a command prompt I used an EaseUS recovery disk which booted just fine. Once with a command prompt it was possible to solve all my problems by using command line instructions. A Windows recovery disk was then produced which also boots with no problem.

Global88

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 2017-10-19, 03:27

Global88 wrote:Thank you. Getting to the boot option was never a problem. The root of my difficult is that the likes of Rufus never produced a bootable USB even after many attempts and much frustration.

Eventually, to get to a command prompt I used an EaseUS recovery disk which booted just fine. Once with a command prompt it was possible to solve all my problems by using command line instructions. A Windows recovery disk was then produced which also boots with no problem.

Probably the system you started with the USB device is not Win10 PE
Admin
Admin
Admin

帖子数 : 509
注册日期 : 2016-04-08

https://gpdclub.longluntan.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down